The University of Western Australia
- Compare student loans
- Affordable loans
- Low interest rates
[Accessed May 2, 2023]
The University of WA - You can afford a higher education
The cost of studying can become overwhelming and cause you a lot of stress. You need to pay for textbooks, stationery, living expenses and a range of other costs that adds up very quickly.
The student guild understands how tough it is to live on a student’s budget and offers interest-free loans, grants, and advocacy and offers budgeting assistance.
Student assist will provide information and give referrals when you need them. The website offers helpful budgeting tools and gives students tips and tricks to help them save money.
The student guild offers emergency loans to students that are completely interest-free and allow the student to borrow up to $200. These loans are perfect to pay for lunch if you have forgotten to bring your wallet or need a little bit of extra cash for an unexpected expense. To qualify for this student loan you will need to be a UWA Guild member and a current student.
The application process is very quick and easy and gives the student the cash immediately, the student will be able to apply for 6 loans per year.
They offer grants to students who are under financial strain and can’t afford to pay for their tuition. These loans allow the student to borrow up to $400 in a money grant or up to $250 for a textbook grant.
The criteria to apply for a grant are as follows:
- The student must be enrolled as a student at UWA
- The student must be a member of the UWA student guild
- The student must show that they are under financial strain
- The student must have exhausted all other financial solutions available
- The student will need to demonstrate that they are unable to make payments on their Guild loan
Student loans are interest free
The University offers two main types of loans these are Guild emergency loans and ordinary personal loans. Both types of loans are interest-free.
A Guild Ordinary loan allows the student to borrow up to $1,000 over a 12-month period. The student will be able to have more than one loan at the same time as long as they prove that they will be able to pay the loans comfortably.
Study support fund
Student that study at UWA that are studying a minimum of 12 credit points per semester, that are Australian citizens and have been studying for at least 2 years prior to making the online loan application may be eligible for a grant of up to $1,500 for the Study Support Fund.
The Department of Housing offers students bond assistance by paying their rent two weeks in advance in the form of an interest-free student loan. This type of loan is to assist disadvantaged students with a low income that can’t afford student accommodation.
There are a variety of non-university loan providers that offer student loans, these include:
- ANZ Bank
- ANZ (Graduate Loan)
- Commonwealth Bank
If a student is experiencing financial difficulty there are various options available these include:
- Department Of Human Services (Centrelink)
- Department of Commerce
- Financial Counselors Association of Western Australia
- Commonwealth Financial Counseling
- Sussex street Community Law Service
The University of Western Australia – Student loan
- Loan Type Student loans
Benefits of The University of Western Australia
- Emergency Australian student loan
- Student exchange loan
- Overseas study loans
Student loan calculator
The University of WA - Get the education of your choosing
If you are a student that is 24 or younger and studying full time or if you are a student that is between the ages of 16 to 24 you may qualify for Youth Allowance for students.
Austudy is for students that are over 25 years old and enrolled as full-time students in a course of Australian Apprenticeship. The student will need to be under the income and assets test limits to qualify for one of these student loans.
This scheme is a group of payments for parents and people who care for children who can’t go to a local Government school because it is either difficult for them to get there, the child could be disabled or have special needs.
To be eligible the child must:
- The child must meet the living, age and study requirements for the course
- The child would need to be geographically isolated
- The child would otherwise not have access to a Government School
Managing your payments
The payments can change according to your circumstances and if certain circumstances change the amounts may vary. These circumstances may include:
- The student obtaining additional boarding allowance or if the boarding cost increase
- You or your partner's income status changes or increases
- If the student no longer lives in the second home
- If the student stops studying or changes universities
- If the student's personal circumstances change
- If you change your address
- If the student leaves Australia
Keep them informed
It is the student’s responsibility to keep them informed of their details if any of the following details change the student will need to notify them this includes:
- If your study details change
- If you get a job
- If you move out of your home or your address changes
- If you are going to travel overseas
- If your relationship status changes.
Customer Reviews & Testimonials
Very happy with my student loan from UWA, I was able to get an interest free loan quick and easy - even able to have more than one loan at a time.
— Perth —
With my student loan from the University of Western Australia, I was able to have a minimal stress experience at varsity without worrying about how I was going to pay for books and living expense...
— Perth —
I was so fortunate to be a student at UWA as when disaster struck I was able to apply for an emergency loan on my existing student loan account. Literally would not know what I would have done wi...
— Perth —