The University of Sydney
- Range of benefits
- Affordable loan options
- Find a expert
[Accessed May 2, 2023]
The University of Sydney - Loans for every educational structure
The University of Sydney offers financial assistance to those who are eligible. There are 4 main types of direct loans available to those students that meet the criteria.
These are as follows:
- Direct Subsidised Stafford
- Direct Unsubsidised Stafford
- Direct GradPLUS
- Direct ParentPLUS
There are many factors that will influence the online loan application. In some cases, students may qualify to borrow the full cost of attendance (this is calculated as the tuition plus living expenses)
If the student wants to study to be an MD (Medical Doctor) they may be eligible for Student Aid and should find out if they qualify.
University can be very expensive and student loans can help alleviate some of the costs involved. Student loans can be used to pay for tuition, materials and equipment and other costs associated with the student’s educational needs.
- The Government offers HELP (Higher Education Loan Program) to help students pay for the cost of their tuition. These programs include HECS-HELP, FEE-HLP and SA-HELP.
- HECS-HELP - If you are in a Commonwealth-supported place you may qualify for HECS- HELP this means that you will be able to defer your part of the student contribution. The Australian Government will pay your portion and you will only need to pay back this amount through the Australian Taxation Office once you reach a certain salary bracket. Or you can opt to pay your student contribution early.
- FEE-HELP allows a domestic student the opportunity to borrow a fixed amount of money to help pay for their tuition, this amount will be added to your accumulated HELP debt.
- SA-HELP (Student Services and Amenities Fee) (SSAF) are available to students that are currently enrolled in the university to help them to pay for their tuition.
Their loans can help you study abroad
OS – HELP loans are available to those students that are studying and want to complete part of their studies overseas.
This allows students to fund a range of expenses through an OS – HELP loan which is like a personal loan that can be used for living expenses. The student will need to be currently studying and want to complete a course overseas.
To qualify for an OS – HELP loan you will need:
- To be part of an approved exchange program
- You need to participate in an overseas professional placement (this could include clinical, industry or internship)
- You need to participate in a fieldwork program
- You need to take part in a program where you need academic-credit to complete your current course
- You need to be an Australian citizen
All HELP debt repayments are managed by the ATO, the student will be sent a statement to inform them of their HELP debt. The ATO will require your tax number and some of your personal information.
To keep track of your loan and your loan repayments you can login with CHESSN if you don’t know your CHESSN details you can get this information from your university.
VET student loans
VET student loans are offered to students who wish to study a certain course that address needs in the industry.
This helps to create employment and better opportunities for the student in the future. VET student loans can be used to pay for tuition and other education expenses.
To find out more about the courses that qualify for a VET student loan and the amount that you will qualify for by having a look at the list available on the website.
The University of Sydney – Student loan
- Loan Type Student loans
Benefits of The University of Sydney
- Affordable student loans
- Student support services
Student loan calculator
The University - Helping you get an education loan
If you are a student from the United States, Canada, Norway, Sweden or the United Kingdom you may qualify for an education loan from your home country.
The Australian awards offer long-term training scholarships that are available to students from other counters that wish to study in Australia.
There are 3 types of Australian awards these are:
- Australia Awards Scholarship
- Australian Awards Pacific Scholarships
- Australia Awards Fellowship
Australian Awards Scholarship
These scholarships are available to students who wish to study in a key area that is crucial to grow the economy. These scholarships are usually awarded to postgraduate study but there are a limited number of options available to undergraduate students.
Australian Awards Pacific Scholarships
These types of scholarships give students from developing countries the ability to study in Australia. The purposes of the scholarship are for the students to gain knowledge and education and use this to help improve their home countries.
Australian Awards Fellowship
These types of scholarships are aimed to develop leadership and address regional development issues by building partnerships between fellowship regions such as:
- Asia – Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East
These scholarships offer short-term opportunities for students to study and do research.
Fees and costs
There are many different fees that a student is responsible to pay including study fees, student loan fees and living expenses.
Your tuition fee is calculated based on the student's residency status, the year that you are enrolled and which course you are studying.
Customer Reviews & Testimonials
The University of Sydney offered me so many different student loan options to choose from I felt like a kid in a candy shop. I was able to determine just what was right for me.
— Sydney —
I've always wanted to work in the medical profession and hearing that by pursuing my dreams with the University of Sydney I became even more eligible for student aid, which I really needed.
— Sydney —
The University of Sydney Contact
- The University of Sydney Camperdown NSW 2006 Australia
- Get Directions
- The University of Sydney , NSW, 2006, Australia
- Monday 08:30 – 17:00
- Tuesday 08:30 – 17:00
- Wednesday 08:30 – 17:00
- Thursday 08:30 – 17:00
- Friday 08:30 – 17:00
- Saturday – Closed
- Sunday – Closed